Friday, April 4, 2014

Chappradavarekayi Palya (Subji) - flat bean stir fry


So couple of days back, one of our close relatives from Houston visited us. I had 3-4 kinds of veggies at hand and wanted to prepare something that goes well with chapati ( one of indian flat breads). Just then I remembered that I had got flat beans from the market a few days back and had forgotten to refrigerate it. To my luck it was still in great shape. So decided to use it.

I always believe in using fresh ingredients. There is a kind of joy in seeing those brilliant colors nature has provided us. Same goes with whole grains. I sometimes wish I had a space big enough as my Indian house. I would love to grow my own greens and veggies. Unfortunately, all I am left with is a small balcony, which I am ready to use shortly to grow some herbs.

Flat beans, in my opinion, are a bit under appreciated compared to the val beans in my place. These beans have more green content as skin can be used when its young and in older ones, more seeds. While making this recipe I had few older ones, of which I used mostly the seeds and not the skin.

I am one of those people who don't like to overcook my veggies. Overcooking tends to not only minimize the nutrients, but will make it appear dull due to lack of good coloring. Not all veggies need tons of oil or spices or coconut to add flavor, in fact the flavor actually gets lost if you try adding more of these. Purpose of adding spice and seasoning is only to enhance the flavor.

This recipe is best eaten with chapati. You can also use it as sides with rice.


Serves: 3

Preparation Time: 20 mins

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb or 1/2Kg flat beans broken into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 of finely onion chopped 
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/4 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp urad dal (black gram)
  • 1/2 inch ginger grated

Method:

  • Microwave the flat beans with half cup water and some salt on high for 8 mins.
  • Drain the water and let the cooked beans dry for some time.
  • In a pan,  with medium flame add oil and mustard seeds and let it crackle then add urad dal and fry till golden brown.
  • Add onion and grated ginger to this and fry until translucent.
  • Now reduce the flame to medium low and add in turmeric, chili powder, coriander and cumin powder.
  • Give it a mix until there is no raw smell of spices but make sure they don't burn.
  • Throw in the flat beans to this and finally add lemon juice and stir it for a few mins until everything blends well.
  • Check for salt, add more if needed and serve hot.






No comments:

Post a Comment