Thursday, May 8, 2014

Aloo Fry - Potato stir fry


Hello again. Today I am doing much better. Woke up late and didn't have to worry about a thing. How I wish all mornings would be this lazy. On the other hand, weather here is same as in Ooty today, wet, chill and perfect. Just makes me want to snuggle and sleep again.

Aloo or potato is not one of my favorite veggies. This has been a problem since childhood. I remember taking masala dosa and my brother or father eating the aloo palya in it. I just wanted that red chutney inside the masala dosa. One of the greatest irony is that my husband loves potatoes. So we have come to an understanding that once a week I would incorporate his favorite veggie in my cooking.

So if you love or have mixed feeling about aloo, I am sure you will love this recipe. It tastes very much like french fries in terms of crispiness. Yes, it takes a bit more oil and bit more effort since it needs to be dry before going in the frying pan, but method is actually very easy.


Serves: 1-2


Preparation Time: 25 mins


Ingredients:

  • 2 large Idaho potatoes peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes added in water
  • 3-4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • A pinch of hing or asafetida
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp chaat masala
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp coriander powder
  • Salt as needed

Method:

  • Drain chopped potatoes and dry it gently using a paper towel.
  • In a frying pan, add oil and heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and hing and let it crackle.
  • Add in the potatoes and fry for 5 minutes, then add turmeric powder and salt.
  • Fry on medium high for 10-15 minutes frying in between so that it doesn't burn.
  • Now add all the remaining masalas - chili powder, chaat masala, cumin powder and coriander powder.
  • Fry again for 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.




No comments:

Post a Comment