Thursday, May 22, 2014

Gobi (Cauliflower) Curry


Hiya people. Now, I am aware that I have been absconding for a week or so. Apologies for that. I have been busy working out and catching my breath later on. Also my candy crush game is taking so much time since I finished stage 100. I am completely hooked towards playing it.

Cauliflower is not used that much at my home. Might be because of the worms in it. But soaking in hot water gets rid of all those bugs. And yes, Gobhi Manchuri is in my to-eat list when I get to Bangalore.  I must tell you this, I have tasted the actual Manchurian (they don't use only cauliflower), it is almost like a ball of vegetables and tastes nothing like our Indianized version. I am in love with the Indian version of it. We don't over use garlic which is the top reason why I love it.

Anyways, for past 2 weeks, the mister and I are having juice for dinner. Nutritious, light and healthy way to loose weight. Our juice has 20% fruit and 80% veggies. So I buy most of the vegetables available in market. We also bought a juicer (different from mixer) for this purpose. That is why I chose cauliflower. It has most of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that we need to build a strong immunity. Also it is anti-inflammatory and is excellent for heart health. Not only does it fight diseases, it also boosts brain health. Go figure!

This recipe is also one of my experiments, which actually turned out delish! and I am sure you guys will enjoy as well.


Serves: 2


Preparation Time: 25 mins


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 Cauliflower, chopped into equal sized florets
  • 1 can tomato sauce or 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1/2 big onion finely chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • 1 tsp black pepper powder
  • 1 tsp red chili powder (1/2 tsp if its too spicy for you)
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Salt

Method:

  • Soak the cauliflower flowers in hot water with turmeric and salt for 5 minutes
  • Drain and cook the cauliflower in fresh water for 4 minutes in a microwave oven or in a pot.
  • In a skillet, add oil and let it heat. Once hot add in cumin seeds and let it crackle.
  • Add the fenugreek seeds and fry till you can smell the aroma.
  • Spoon in the ginger garlic paste and then add chopped onions.
  • Now add the tomato sauce and required amount of water (half or more depending on thickness of your choice)
  • Bring it to boil and then add in the masalas - chili powder, pepper powder, garam masala and coriander powder and again let it boil for 5 more minutes.
  • To this add milk and while stirring continuously and finally add the cooked cauliflower florets.
  • Cook this mixture for another 5 minutes and turn off thetas. Serve hot with rice or roti.




No comments:

Post a Comment