Monday, May 12, 2014

Southekayi Gojju - Cucumber curry


Hi folks, welcome to my blog. Hope you are all doing fine. Another weekend has passed. I am sure all of you had fun. Before I forget, Happy mother's day to all you moms. Anything I am today, I owe it to my mom. I remember her being there always for me, putting up with my tantrums, making me happy and giving me a strong shoulder whenever I was down. She is my rock. I would also like to remember my mom's mom. She managed 10 children, cooked for them and worked in fields for large part of her life. She was like super hero to me and her words oozed out wisdom. My only regret is that she couldn't see my marriage. Miss you Ammamma. Also I would like to wish my Mother in law.   She is the coolest mom in law to have and she brings out the fun part of me.

This is actually a recipe of my Aunt and is dedicated to her. She took good care of me in my childhood along with my mom. Though she doesn't have any child of her own, she is one of my moms and I am blessed to have her in my life.

This is one of the easiest, uncooked curry ever. Since you are not cooking cucumber, you are still retaining all nutrients. In case your cucumber doesn't have a waxy outer layer like I did, no need to peel. It is best suited for summers and can be eaten with rice or chapati or heck! can be eaten just like that, which is how I love to eat. But in case you live it warm places, don't keep it for long. Savor the flavor soon :)


Serves: 2


Preparation Time: 10-15 mins


Ingredients: 

  • 1 cucumber peeled and diced into less than 1/4th inch pieces (See pic for approximate size)
  • 2-3 tbsp grated coconut
  • 2 dried red chilies
  • 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds 
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2-1 tsp tamarind paste
  • 1/2 tsp jaggery powder
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • A pinch of hing or asafetida
  • Salt to taste

Method:

  • In a spatula, dry roast fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds separately. Also roast red chilies with a drop of oil.
  • In a mixer, add the roasted fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies and grind it coarsely.
  • To this add grated coconut, tamarind paste, jaggery and salt and again grind it adding little water to desired curry consistency. Remember cucumber also secretes water.
  • In a spatula, heat oil. Once hot add hing and mustard seeds and let it crackle. Switch off the stove. Your tempering is ready.
  • In a serving bowl add the raw cucumber, the tempering and the ground masala and mix well. Check for taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment