Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Avalakki Oggarane - Tempered Flatten Rice


Hello and good morning. Had nice sleep yesterday, in the middle I woke up to birds chirping at 3:20 AM. Who knew they woke up so early. I just crawled back in my bed and continued to sleep and had the worst nightmare. Gosh, I wish I don't see those faces again in my life.

So this is a traditional avalakki oggarne recipe. My mom made it and her in-laws made it and their in-laws and so on. Hope you get the picture. Of course there are small additions and changes. But the roots are still the same.

If there is one dish I want my mom to make, when I see her in Bangalore, it is this dish. There are many varieties of avalakki made in my house, which will be duly made and posted in my future adventures.  Note that you can add other veggies to it like carrot, beans , peas and so on. I actually prefer it like this. It goes well alone or with yogurt. Try to eat it hot, poha tends to get rubbery when cold.

Serves: 2


Preparation Time 15 - 20 mins


Ingredients:

  • 1 and 1/2 cups gatti avalakki or dagdi poha 
  • 1 medium onion chopped finely
  • A pinch of turmeric powder
  • 8-10 curry leaves
  • 1-2 green or red chili chopped finely
  • 1/2-1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 inch ginger grated or 1/2 tsp ginger paste
  • 2 tbsp grated coconut
  • 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • A pinch of hing or asafetida
  • 1 tsp black mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp chana dal dry
  • 1 tsp urad dal dry
  • Salt as needed

Method:

  • Using a sieve wash the poha with cold running water, repeat it thrice and drain. Add a tsp of salt and mix well. 
  • In a deep skillet, add oil and heat. Once hot add hing and mustard seeds, let it crackle.
  • Add in the chana dal and urad dal and fry till golden brown.
  • To this add curry leaves, ginger, onion, chilies and turmeric powder and fry till onions turn translucent.
  • Now add sugar and gently mix it until the sugar dissolves.
  • To this add the drained poha and mix well and cook for 2-3 mins. Add in the lemon juice, again give it a mix and switch off the stove.
  • Finally garnish with coriander leaves and coconut. Serve hot.




No comments:

Post a Comment